Saturday, May 10, 2014

1908


TITLE, COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, PRODUCTION CO.
YEAR
TYPE(S)
GRADE
REVIEW
SOURCE
Abeille et la Rose (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
BL
(B)
mostly dancing, then lousy giant spider, nothing to excite 'er
LINK archive
Airship, or 100 Years Hence, The
(US, Vitagraph)
The Airship, or One Hundred Years Hence
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Album Magique (France, Pathé Frères)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Bologna (LINK, .xls file).  Can you provide it to me?
Anti-Hair Powder



SEE Poudre Épilatoire

Araignée d'Or (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
L
(A)
dwarfs collect mythical insects untold, man steals spider that spins gold, his ending is cold, sold!
LINK YT
Aspirateur (France, Pathé Frères)
L’Aspirateur
1908
F
(B+)
super-vacuum has quite a lot of room to consume
LINK YT
Au Pays des Jouets



SEE Conte de la Grand-Mère et Rêve de l'Enfant

Beauty and the Beast



SEE Belle et la Bête

Beauty of the Sleeping Woods



SEE Belle au Bois Dormant

Bee and the Rose



SEE Abeille et la Rose

Beginning of the Serpentine Dance



SEE Création de la Serpentine

Belle au Bois Dormant (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
BW
(B)
production values strong but goes on way too long
LINK YT
Belle et la Bête (France, Pathé Frères)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Fragment exists (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Black and White



SEE Fantasmagorie

Bonne Bergère et la Mauvaise Princesse
(France, Méliès)
1908
BL
(B)
13m for princess biyatch to be no more, but there is an ichthyosaur!
LINK YT
Cave of the Spooks



SEE Grotte des Esprits

Cerceau Magique (France, Gaumont)
1908
X
(B)
magic hoop, whoop-de-doop
LINK vk
Cheval Emballé (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
(x)
(x)
energetic horse runs his course, adventurous but not genre
LINK YT
Conte de la Grand-Mère et Rêve de l'Enfant
(France, Méliès)
1908
LO
(B)
fairies and angels in dream, not Melies' cream
LINK archive
Création de la Serpentine
(France, Pathé Frères)
1908
H
(B)
Satan invented the dance serpentine, mostly mise-en-scène
LINK YT
Cuisine Abracadabrante



SEE Cuisine Magnétique

Cuisine Magnétique (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
X
(B/B+)
stop-motion and other tropes, slightly-entertaining kitchen-related dopes
LINK YT
Cupid's Pranks (US, Edison)
1908
L
(B/B+)
Cupid actin' stupid, takes his medicine from Edison
LINK YT
Cupid's Realm, or A Game of Hearts
(US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Déménagement Magnétique
(France, Pathé Frères) 



I haven’t seen this.  Thought to exist.  Can you provide it to me?
Depilatory Powder



SEE Poudre Épilatoire

Dés Magiques (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
X
(B)
lots of dice stuff, more than enough
LINK vk
Devil (US, AM&B)
The Devil
1908


I haven’t seen this.  This exists (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Devil (US, Edison)
The Devil
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Thought to exist.  Can you provide it to me?
Devil and the Gambler



SEE Gambler and the Devil, Library of Congress title

Donkey Skin
Donkey’s Skin



SEE Peau d'Âne

Dornröschen



SEE Belle au Bois Dormant

Dragées du Grand-Père
(France, Pathé Frères)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at CNC (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Dream of an Opium Fiend



SEE Rêve d'un Fumeur l'Opium

Dreams of Toyland (UK, Alpha)
1908
OX
(B+)
early Toy Story violent stop-motion action, varying emotional reaction
LINK YT
Écran Magique



SEE Album Magique

Electric Hotel



SEE Hotel Eléctrico

Elf King: Norwegian Fairy Tale (US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Excursion Dans la Lune (France, Pathé Frères)
Excursion to the Moon
1908
ESL
(B+)
totally ripping off Melies, pretty but not much more to say
LINK YT
Expérience de Spiritisme (France, Pathé Frères) 
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Perhaps at Gaumont-Pathé Archives in Saint-Ouen, France.  Can you provide it to me?
Fakir de Singapoure (France, Méliès)
1908
W
(B/B+)
magic aboriginal, somewhat exotic and original
LINK YT
Fantasmagorie (France, Gaumont)
1908
(x)
(x)
chalk figures, no supernatural triggers
LINK YT
Fantasy, A



SEE Fantasmagorie

Fleur de Jeunesse (France, Pathé Frères)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Swedish Film Inst. (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Flower of Youth



SEE Fleur de Jeunesse

Frog, The



SEE Grenouille

Galvanic Fluid, or More Fun with
Liquid Electricity (US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Gambler and the Devil (US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Génie du Feu (France, Méliès)
Genii of Fire
1908
L
(B)
some plot, but originality not
LINK YT
Gli Ultimi Giorni di Pompei (Italy, Ambrosio)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Screened (LINK).  More info (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Gold Spider



SEE Araignée d'Or

Good Shepherdess and the Evil Princess



SEE Bonne Bergère et la Mauvaise Princesse

Grandfather's Pills



SEE Dragées du Grand-Père

Grandmother's Story



SEE Conte de la Grand-Mère et Rêve de l'Enfant

Grenouille (France, Pathé Frères)
Le Grenouille
1908
O
(B+)
psychedelic pond, haven't the faintest idea what's going on
LINK YT
Grotte des Esprits (France, Pathé Frères) 
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Screened as Mágica Bruxa (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Hallucinations Pharmaceutiques ou Le
Truc de Potard (France, Méliès)
1908
OW
(B/B+)
dude's on drugs, somewhat chugs
LINK YT
Hansel and Gretel (Germany, Fita-Film)
Hansel und Gretel
1908
W
(A)
well-told, sold!.. IMDB 1909
LINK YT
Haunted House



SEE Maison Ensorcelée, erroneous ubiquitous alternate title

Hôtel du Silence (France, Gaumont)
1908
G
(A-)
inn bewitched or machines hitched?
LINK vk
Hotel Eléctrico (France/Spain, Pathé Frères)
Hôtel Électrique
1908
F
(B+)
everything automatic, interesting not static
LINK YT
Hurry Up, Please



SEE Mais Dépêchez-Vous Donc!

Indian Sorcerer



SEE Fakir de Singapoure

In the Barber Shop



SEE Salon de Coiffure

Invalide à la Tête de Bois (France, Pathé Frères) 
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Probably at Gaumont-Pathé archives.  Can you provide it to me?
Invisible Fluid (US, AM&B)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Probably at Library of Congress.  Can you provide it to me?
Japanese Butterflies



SEE Papillons Japonais

Last Days of Pompeii



SEE Gli Ultimi Giorni di Pompei

Latest Style Airship



SEE Nouveau Farman

Lebende Spiegelbilder



SEE Reflets Vivants, German alternate title

Légende de la Fileuse (France, Gaumont)
1908
HL
(B/B+)
how the spider was born, Greek myths and corn
DVD Les Vampires extra LINK
Légende du Fantôme (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
HL
(A+)
what can I tell?  it's war in hell, but we don't know quite why, so enjoy and don't try!
LINK YT
Legend of a Ghost



SEE Légende du Fantôme

Legend of the Spinner



SEE Légende de la Fileuse

Little Soldier Who Became a God



SEE Petit Soldat Qui Devient Dieu

Living Reflection



SEE Reflets Vivants

Long Distance Wireless Photography



SEE Photographie Électrique à Distance

Lunatiques (France, Pathé Frères)
Les Lunatiques
1908
L
(B+)
Selene makes dancers exist and change, racial range, nickelodeon-strange
LINK YT
Mágica Bruxa



SEE Grotte des Esprits, Portuguese title

Magic Album



SEE Album Magique

Magic Bricks (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
W
(B/B+)
magic tricks with magic bricks, humor Chinee raises the score from tiny
LINK YT
Magic Dice



SEE Dés Magiques

Magic Hoop



SEE Cerceau Magique

Magic Mirror



SEE Miroir Magique

Magic Mirror



SEE Reflets Vivants

Magnetic Removal



SEE Déménagement Magnétique

Mais Dépêchez-Vous Donc!
(France, Pathé Frères) 

1908


I haven’t seen this.  Screened (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Maison des Lutins



SEE Maison Ensorcelée

Maison Ensorcelée (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
GH
(A+)
Evil Dead styled, cabin demons riled, wild!
LINK YT
Man and His Bottle (UK, Hepworth)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at BFI Screenline (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Metamorphosis



SEE Fantasmagorie

Miroir Magique (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
FX
(B)
look into the cameo and glass, or pass
LINK archive
Modern Sculptors



SEE Sculpteur Moderne

New Lord of the Village



SEE Nouveau Seigneur du Village

No Trifling With Love



SEE Nouveau Seigneur du Village

Nouveau Farman (France, Pathé Frères) 

1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at the Deutsche Kinemathek as “Ein Moderner Flugmaschinenfahrer.”  Can you provide it to me?
Nouveau Seigneur du Village
(France, Méliès)
1908
BLGW
(A-)
a man you love to hate, witchery sets the guv straight
LINK YT
Papillons Japonais (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
CW
(B)
butterfly sameness, a grade above lameness
LINK archive
Pathé Trick Film (France, Pathé Frères) 
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Bologna (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Peau d'Âne (France, Pathé Frères) 
1908
LT
(B)
donkey skin causes grief, the end a relief
DVD LINK
Petit Soldat Qui Devient Dieu
(France, Gaumont)
1908
X
(B/B+)
toy soldier becomes an African god, very odd
LINK vk
Pharmaceutical Hallucinations



SEE Hallucinations Pharmaceutiques ou le Truc de Potard

Photographie Électrique à Distance
(France, Méliès)
1908
F
(A+)
television invented, your amusement cemented
LINK YT
Pierrot all'Inferno (Italy, Cines)
Pierrot à l'Enfer
Pierrot and the Devil
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Bologna (LINK, .xls file).  Can you provide it to me?
Poudre Épilatoire (France, Pathé Frères) 
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Most likely at BFI under the title “Depilatory Powder.”  Can you provide it to me?
Prehistoric Man (UK, Urban)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Possibly at MOMA.  Can you provide it to me?
Princess in the Vase (US, AM&B) 
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Screened (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Reflets Vivants (France, Pathé Frères)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Bologna (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Remote Electric Photography



SEE Photographie Électrique à Distance

Rêve des Marmitons (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
LX
(B+)
gremlin severs their hands while they sleep, work done as they keep, steep
LINK YT
Rêve d'un Fumeur l'Opium (France, Méliès)
1908
O
(B+)
dream absurd, I give a kind word
LINK YT
Runaway Horse



SEE Cheval Emballé

Salon de Coiffure (France, Méliès)
1908
CT
(B)
turning from black to white, giving the barber a fright, alright
LINK YT
Samson (France, Pathé Frères)
Samson and Delilah

1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Bologna (LINK, .xls file).  Can you provide it to me?
Scullion's Dream



SEE Rêve des Marmitons

Sculpteur Moderne (France, Pathé Frères)
Sculpture Moderne
1908
W
(A-)
magic using stop-motion, good commotion..
LINK YT
Séance de Spiritisme



SEE Expérience de Spiritisme

Secret Suitcase (France, Pathé Frères)
1908
W
(B)
fragment of fun, and it's done
LINK vk
Sirène, La



SEE Légende de la Fileuse

Sleeping Beauty



SEE Belle au Bois Dormant

Slumberland (US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Snowman, The (US, AM&B)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  This is on film studies DVD Early Blackface Shorts (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Songe du Pêcheur



SEE Légende de la Fileuse

Spiritualistic Séance



SEE Expérience de Spiritisme

Story of Samson



SEE Samson

Tempest (UK, Clarendon)
The Tempest
1908
LW
(B-)
gets an A for caring and daring, but even at 12m this is wearing
LINK YT
Thieving Hand (US, Vitagraph)
1908
FZ
(A+)
replacement arms can't stop stealing, very appealing
LINK YT
Too Much Champagne (US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Unusual Cooking



SEE Cuisine Magnétique

Vacuum Cleaner



SEE Aspirateur

Voyage Dans la Lune



SEE Excursion Dans la Lune, 1909 Hardy title

Wages of Sin (US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Wave of Spooks



SEE Grotte des Esprits, erroneously-spelled alternate title, see “Cave of the Spooks”

Whimsical People



SEE Lunatiques

Witch (US, Vitagraph)
The Witch
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?
Wooden-Headed Veteran



SEE Invalide à la Tête de Bois, 1909 US title

Workingman's Dream (US, Vitagraph)
1908


I haven’t seen this.  Exists at Library of Congress (LINK).  Can you provide it to me?

KEY

COLUMN 1
FILM TITLE.   A title in red means the film is IMO outside the Fantastic genre.  Why is it on the list?  Other list-makers called it Fantastic.

In many cases, the indefinite and definite articles THE, AN, and A, as well as non-English counterparts, such as UN, UNE, LE, LA, LES, DER (and so forth), are omitted from the beginning of the film title.

COLUMN 2
YEAR OF RELEASE.  Alternate Titles (see Column 5) left blank.  A matter of accounting.

COLUMN 3
TYPES.  See WELCOME Page (February 2013).  An interesting way to think about the genre.  Alternate Titles (see Column 5) left blank. 

(x) means the film is IMO outside the Fantastic genre. 

COLUMN 4
GRADE.  My opinion of the film.  Letter grades A+ A A-  B+ B/B+ B B-  C D F

Shorts (generally, anything under 50 minutes) and Borderline Types (J,M,Q) have their grades in parentheses.  

Non-Genre are filled in as (x).  

Alternate Titles (see Column 5) are left blank.

COLUMN 5
ONE-LINE REVIEW.  Alternate Titles begin "SEE," pointing to the Main Title.

COLUMN 6
SOURCES.  Online links provided, but today's availability may be tomorrow's scrub.

DURATION.  If any, given, for ID purposes, in minutes and seconds, as 0:30 (30 seconds), 1:00 (one minute), or 67:42 (67 minutes, 42 seconds).  Extraneous footage disregarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment